Large scraps for the dress
Any embellishments you want to add
Dress pattern - go here to get it: Quaint and Quirky rag doll dress pattern
Very thin elastic - approximately 1/8"
Sewing machine, thread, needle
Small safety pin
This is a rough pattern and uses very small seam allowances, so seams are not finished, but you could finish seams with a very small zig zag stitch if you want!
1. Cut out the pattern, then use the pattern to cut 2 dress pieces and 2 sleeve pieces. Make sure you cut the sleeve pieces on the fold!
(showing the ironed folds)7. Save yourself some time and iron the sleeves at the same time. Press under 1/4" of the end of the sleeve, then fold it again on itself so that you enclose the raw edge. Press. Repeat for the other sleeve.
8. While you are still at the iron, do the same for the hem of the dress. Press under 1/4" of the hem. Fold under another 1/4" and press.
9. Back at the sewing machine, sew the neck, close to the edge of the fold. Leave a 1 to 2 inch gap so you can thread the elastic through later.
10. Sew the sleeves close to the fold too. For these you can sew all the way around, since you are not threading an elastic through. You can try to elasticize the sleeves for a different look, but I find they are too small for this. The first doll I made, I tried to throw it through the window when I tried to thread the elastic through the sleeves. Except that it was soft and it just bounced. Moral of the story? Bell sleeves!
11. Sew the hem of the dress all the way around close to the fold.
Everything sewn and ready for the next step!12. Attach around a 6" piece of thin elastic to a safety pin. Thread it through the opening in the neck and back out the other side. Hand sew the elastic together, then machine sew the opening closed.
13. Add any embellishments you want. I folded over the raw short edges on some lace and stitched it to the bottom of the dress. Then I tied a ribbon around the waist. I gathered the long edge of a piece of lace and tacked the bottom so that it formed a rosette for the hair. Mademoiselle is finished!